Saturday, October 8, 2011

Love Changes Everything

Sometimes, I reflect on the shows that have deeply affected me.  Usually, I think back at how I felt after my first time experiencing the show.  How old was I?  Where was I?  What specifically moved me?  Has this experience changed the course of my life?  In particular, the last question makes me pause, as I realize the answer will always be “yes.”  Like the Aspects of Love song explains, “love changes everything,” and my love of theatre has profoundly changed my life.

This love has inspired me to see as many shows as possible, connect with fellow theatre enthusiasts, and transform my career by pursuing a MS in arts administration and an arts management profession.  Not only has theatre influenced my friendships, but it has influenced where I am willing to live and where I choose to vacation.  Moreover, musicals especially motivate me to live a better, more dynamic and honest life.

The best example of this for me is Les Miserables.  Anyone familiar with the show, based on Victor Hugo’s book, will recall Jean Valjean’s journey of redemption, grace, and love.  I learned of the story and the musical when I was five, and I first saw the show when I was six.  Every time I see the musical or read the book, I understand more about living a righteous life.  Furthermore, each lyric’s expression of despair, isolation, ambition, desire, love or hope inspires me as I struggle through the ups and downs of life.

The new 25th anniversary production of Les Miserables incorporates fresh direction and orchestrations that invigorate the always touching musical.  I’ll always love the original interpretation of the musical, but the new version presents the powerful message, music, and story Les Mis in an equally rousing manner. An updated tour of Les Miserables is currently running in the United States, and I highly recommend you see it if you get the opportunity.  Each time I see Les Mis, I am in awe of how God’s love changes Jean Valjean’s life.  Even though the show is entitled “The Miserables,” I always leave the theatre feeling fulfilled and overjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment