Thursday, September 29, 2011

What Makes Me Tick

Exactly two months ago, I saw an entertaining and inspiring Marc Kudisch concert entitled "What Makes Me Tick." As he explained what makes him tick, I started to ponder what makes me tick. After taking some time to really think about it, I came up with six things that make me tick: Experience, Creation, Exploration, Connection, Expression, and Activity.

Experience
Experiencing life, love, joy...living is about experiencing. I try to experience something joyful every day. My favorite experience is watching a musical. My favorite musical to experience is Les Miserables, not surprisingly. Experiencing Les Miserables fills me up with emotion in the best way possible.

Creation
As someone who appreciates the arts and loves musical theatre, I love the act of creation. "Making something out of nothing" ~ There is something amazing about that. I love to create too, whether I am writing a blog post or essay, taking pictures, or crafting a collage, there is something very special about making something that wasn't there before. It produces a feeling of achievement and leaves something behind that wouldn't be there without you.

Exploration
I love to travel and visit cities, and one of my favorite things to do in a new place or somewhere I haven't been in a while is explore. I love to walk everywhere and discover things I've never seen. There is so much to see and do in life, and if I could, I would spend my life traveling the world (and seeing shows along the way). Exploration leads to understanding of other cultures, geography, people, etc.

Connection
Without connection, life would be...unbearable. Connecting with family, friends, strangers...as people, we're meant to be with other people. Moreover, connection is key to theatre. Actors need to connect with an audience. Connection is a very powerful feeling.

Expression
I think most everyone feels the "need to express, to communicate." We all have feelings, and every one has different means for sharing them. New musicals and plays are part of someone's form of expression. For me, this blog is a way to express myself. It's essential, and it can lead to amazing works of art.

Activity
If my month of September didn't make this point, I am person who keeps busy with lots of activites. Usually, when I don't have much going on, I am planning my next trip, my next show, my next dinner with friends ~ something. I have trouble understanding the idea of rest and relaxation. Even on vacation, I'm like the energizer bunny ~ I just keep going and going and going. We only have so much time, and I strive to make the most of every second I'm given.

Why do the above make me tick? They excite me. They energize me. They make me, me. Most of all they electrify me. Billy Elliot sang it best ~ "I can't really explain it. I haven't got the words. It's a feeling that I can't control. I suppose it's like forgetting, losing who you are. And at the same time something makes you whole...electricity, sparks inside of me. And I'm free, I'm free!"

~ LBD

Musical Theatre Quote of the Moment: "But then I feel it move me. Like a burning deep inside. Something bursting me wide open impossible to hide. And suddenly I'm flying, flying like a bird. Like electricity, electricity. Sparks inside of me. And I'm free I'm free" ~ Billy Elliot

No comments:

Post a Comment