Tuesday, August 9, 2011

No Day But Today

As you may have guessed, I have visited New York City to see the new, Off-Broadway production of Rent. Not only did the show give me chills (it was incredible!), but the show's themes of love and taking advantage of the time you have in life really resonated with me. I saw one of the last casts of the Broadway production, the National Tour (sadly without Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal), and the film version of the show, but none of them moved me as much as this intimate, intense, and inspiring production.

Matt Shingledecker (Roger) recently said in an interview, "The true meaning of 'No Day But Today'...is about living life to the fullest...and it's about love and it's about just having a positive attitude in life." Our time on Earth is limited. As the show wisely proclaims, "forget regret or life is yours to miss." Those words hit me like a ton of bricks, but in a good way. I am starting the process of chasing after my dream. It's scary, but nothing has ever felt so right. Pursuing my dream to work in the world of theatre is my way of living life to the fullest so that I don't have regrets or fears holding me back from living every day as if it were my last.

Moreover, theatre is my passion. I love it. I had he pleasure of attending Marc Kudisch's Cabaret, What Makes Me Tick, during which he sang an encore: "Awake My Soul" by Mumford and Sons. Part of the song really stuck out to me: "where you invest your love, you invest your life." It's time for me to invest my life in my love - theatre. Life's too short to not at least try.

Lastly, while I'm on the topic of Rent, Adam Chanler-Berat (Mark) mentioned that Rent "redefines what we think of as wealth and I think...really the richness is...in the love that we have each other and...the communities that we make together." Love is the greatest gift we can receive. I love my friends and family, but theatre will always have a special place in my heart too. As theatre is a communal experience, I receive so much from each show I see. It brings me (and hopefully countless others) joy. During "La Vie Boheme," Mark explains, "the opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation," and theatre creates something in a moment of time that can never be replicated. It's of the moment and when it's over, you can't rewind the tape. Theatre provides me with experiences that enrich my life, and for that, I am truly grateful.

~ LBD

Musical Theatre Quote of the Moment: "To days of inspiration...making something out of nothing, the need to express - to communicate..." ~ Rent

No comments:

Post a Comment