Saturday, July 16, 2011

Why "The Theatre Junkie"?

Why call my blog "The Theatre Junkie"? Two reasons: (1) I suffer from theatromania and (2) I see as many shows as I can. Sometimes, this means I see one show a month, one show a week, or four shows in one weekend. As a soon-to-be part-time student who also works forty(some) hours a week, theatre somtimes doesn't get as much attention as I would like. Thankfully, this summer, I am seeing at least one show a week (a personal preference).

As hard as it may be to believe, I do have a life outside of theatre. Even though I am a self-proclaimed "theatre junkie," I don't like the words "obsessed" or "addicted." I think they give the wrong idea. Despite the various meanings of junkie, I am not dependent on theatre. I can be happy when I am not seeing a show or haven't seen a show in a while. Does my life include a large number of theatrical events? Yes, but that's because I love theatre and theatre delights and inspires me. Here's the definition of a junkie that I like: a person with a compulsive habit. Two definitions for compulsive are (1) driven to do something and (2) powerfully interesting. Consequently, when I call myself a "theatre junkie" that's because I am driven to see shows (especially musicals), and I find theatre powerfully interesting.

~ LBD, a devoted fan of theatre

Musical Theatre Quotes of the Moment:
"Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes a sun. Like a stream that meets a boulder halfway through the wood. Who can say if I've been changed for the better? But because I knew you, I have been changed for good." ~ Wicked
"I can't really explain it. I haven't got the words. It's a feeling that you can't control. I suppose it's like forgetting, losing who you are, and at the same time, something makes you whole." ~ Billy Elliot

No comments:

Post a Comment